Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Nicknames

Now that I have a blog, I find myself "writing" blog posts as I fall asleep. Mostly I'm pondering the day and wondering if there was anything post-worthy. It gets my mind going on different topics that might work, sometimes then fusing with dreams as I drift off. Some of those posts would be highly entertaining, I think. Unfortunately, I mostly don't remember them after I've woken up and definitely not by the time I sit down to the computer. This is actually probably better for all parties concerned.

I'm still debating on whether to keep this blog public or make it private and whether it matters if I use my children's real names as I post. So, in the meantime, I think I'll go with their nicknames. I apologize to those who know us, but not well enough to know the nicknames. I hope it is not too confusing.

Oldest child: Fredwina, Fred for short
Second child: Harriet
Third child: George (he hates that nickname)
Fourth child: Charlie (he hates any nickname that is not his own name)
Fifth child: Poor thing does not have one yet. So she'll be Baby.

Sunday, Charlie leans over to me and points out a Sunbeam sitting two rows behind us. "I will marry her when we grow up if she is cute enough," he says to me. I know I should be all concerned that he is basing his decision of a wife solely on looks. But it was so funny. A little more background: he wanted to marry Baby for a long time because she IS the cutest thing ever, but we've convinced him that he cannot marry his sister. So whoever he marries has to be at least as cute as Baby. That's pretty stiff competition.

Monday he wanted to open some mail for me. We got one of those coupon mailers, so I let him open that one. He found the flier that shows different styles of checks on it. He looked at it during breakfast. Later, he showed me the one he had picked. It was Snoopy checks. He particularly liked the checkbook cover because it was shaped like Snoopy's doghouse. You gotta admit, that is pretty cool. Although the cover was cool, I thought I might be able to find checks that he'd actually like better, so I started pointing some out to him. Not Cars, not Mickey Mouse. Okay, there really aren't very many styles of checks that would likely appeal to young boys. Then I found some "Where the Wild Things Are" checks. We'd read that book for a bedtime story a couple of nights ago and he was liking it. He looked at the checks and I could tell he liked them, but the cover was just not as cool as the other. He decided, "When I get married, I will get those for my wife." He's so thoughtful.

The other thing that Charlie seems to be thinking a lot about lately is jail. He asks me about jail. "Do you drive there?" "Do they have toilets there?" "How much money do you have to pay to get out of jail?" It is interesting some of the questions he comes up with. I don't know what started this new curiosity. I wish I did, because then sometimes it makes it easier to understand their concept and why they question certain things. The kicker was his Family Home Evening lesson Monday night. It was short. "If you drive fast, faster than you are supposed to, you can go to jail."

I certainly hope that these two things he has been thinking about lately are not related in any way.

No comments:

Post a Comment