Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Sunny Corner

A couple of days ago, I was ruminating on the naming of my blog. I knew it was going to be one of those things I would think harder about and then come up with something I just liked better.

Since I was a teen, I have been enamored with the idea of naming my house when I grew up. Maybe you had the story in Young Womens too. In Denmark, Holland, and that area it is common to name your house. Apparently still. Or at least when the manual was published that they used twenty years ago when I was a teen. Anyway, I also loved "Anne of Green Gables." They named their homesteads there too. I was just certain I would name my homes.

Fast forward to 1998 and I moved into my first home. I toyed with "naming" it, but nothing ever seemed just right. And I wanted it to be just right. So it is just "The Little White House on Ellison." When we moved into our next house in 2004, the name came to me right away. "Sunny Corner." It is on the Northwest corner of our block and has lots of windows and seems sunny most of the time. Plus, it was a play on words for how I want my home to be -- sunny, happy, smiling. I don't know how often we achieve that, but it is still my goal. In respect of our roots and where the original idea came from, I translated (or rather had a friend translate) Sunny Corner into Danish and came up with "Solrig Afkrog." Doesn't have quite the ring I was hoping for, so usually in my mind I stick with Sunny Corner.

Okay, what all of that was about was that I thought what a nice ring a blog title like, "The Ramblings from Sunny Corner" or something like that might have sounded. But then, what if we move? I guess I'm happy that I've got what I've got. But I wanted to post it so you could all see what a possibility of a cute title I could have had. Now it's out there. And I can forget it and feel better.

1 comment: